Thread: DIY: Replacing oil cooler o-ring

DIY: Replacing oil cooler o-ring

Started my car yesterday & heard what sounded like water pourin out & slapping the concrete. Looked under the car to find it was oil comig from the back of the block. So...............

SYMPTOMS:
    Minimal to a major oil leak

TOOLS NEEDED:
    Jack & stands
    30mm socket & socket wrench or 1-1/16 wrench (Not preferred as this can strip the bolt)
    Oil bucket
    Oil filter wrench or cup w/ socket wrench
    OEM oil cooler o-ring part #91316-PE7-730 (cost about $4)

NOTE: If changing your oil, which i recommend since you'll be under the car anyway & have to remove the oil filter, purely optional but here are the tools needed for that aside from what you already have............

14mm socket & socket wrench or wrench
    Oil (brand is optional)
    Oil filter (I prefer OEM)

STEP 1:
    Apply e-brake & jack up your vehicle. Apply stands @ jack points

STEP 2: If not changing oil, proceed to step 3
    Take your 14mm socket combo or wrench & break loose oil drain bolt (located @ rear of oil pan). Slide oil bucket under pan where needed to catch oil & remove bolt by hand. Let oil drain out till finished then replace bolt & retighten.

STEP 3:
    Take the oil filter wrench or cup w/ socket wrench & loosen the filter slightly. Slide the bucket under the filter & loosen the filter by hand till oil starts coming out. Let it drain a bit till it slows & then repeat process (loosen more & let drain). Finally unscrew the filter completely from the oil cooler. Once removed, have the open end of the filter facing up towards the hood. Pull the filter down towards you then when clear of the motor turn the filter down & sit it in the catch bucket.

STEP 4:
    Grab your 30mm socket & socket wrench & join them. Place it over the bolt holding the oil cooler to the block & rotate counter clockwise until fully extracted. There are 2 hoses attached to the oil cooler. You do not need to remove these unless you want to replace them. Over time they do become brittle so its your discretion. You should now have something that looks like this......

I already removed the o-ring from the oil cooler so its not pictured but you'll see where it goes. Blue part on the left is my sandwich plate so disregard.
    Here's what a worn out o-ring looks like......

FLAT

And mine broke which is what caused the major leak

STEP 5:
    Grab your brand new o-ring & apply some oil to it. This will help keep the o-ring in place when placing it on the oil-cooler. Replace oil cooler back on block carefully as not to be to fast & make the o-ring fall off. Hold it on w/ 1 hand & w/ the other hand grab oil cooler bolt & slide thru cooler & screw on till hand tight. Retighten w/ 30mm socket combo (if using a torque wrench i believe its 52ft lbs). Instal new/old oil filter & hand tighten only.
    Refill engine w/ oil (5qts if changing oil, half qt if not). Remove vehicle from air, start car & check under for any leaks.

I wouldve had pics for every step but i decided to make the writeup a lil late into it & wasnt thinking.

GREAT JOB!

thee upper roooooooooom!

good write up. hopefully i'll never need it though.
    I don't mind being knocked off, ridiculed, made to feel minuscule, When you consider the source it's kinda pitiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by vaginactrl View Post
    Never confuse education with intelligence

Thanks Tim & thanks for the rep

Thread Information