PDA

View Full Version : Head Removal: Intake Manifold

troutz15
April 20th, 2004, 12:53 AM
has anyone removed the head on a 89 lx carbed engine? And if so can someone give me some tips on what i do and dont have to remove as far as vacuum lines and hoses and shit cuz the factory manual neither the haynes manual really explains shit.

JG87LXi
April 20th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Just unbolt the exhaust and intake manifolds, pull the valve cover and unbolt the...what 10 bolts? that hold the head down and pull the head.

troutz15
April 22nd, 2004, 03:49 PM
im having trouble with the intake manifold. its a carbed engine, i already took off the air clearer bases, its all the hoses and shit underneath im havintrouble with.

JG87LXi
April 22nd, 2004, 05:17 PM
you dont need to pull the hoses all the way off, just yank one side, or what you could do is take a photo of everything to help you remind yourself, or you can lable the hoses to remind you where they go, its not hard to remember, they are cut and shaped to go to a sertain area.

troutz15
April 26th, 2004, 03:55 PM
ok i got that part. now how the hell do i unscrew the intake manifold from the goddamn brackets underneath it?

JG87LXi
April 26th, 2004, 04:00 PM
you become VERY flexable! hehe. You know what I never did that. When I pulled my head off, I pulled the intake manifold with it. I didn't wanna even try to get the bolts from under the IM.

kicker1_solo
April 26th, 2004, 05:23 PM
sup troutz, if I liked doing that shit I'd come down and help you. But I don't, so good luck ::tongue::

A20A1
April 27th, 2004, 05:36 AM
even then there are bolts on the support brace that needs to be removed... did you remove the air suction pipe and egr pipe already? ayways you need an extension and a flex joint added somewhere between the 12mm socket and the ratchet... there are holes in the manifold that if you remove the carburetor you can slide the socket and extension and flex part thru and then sort of blindly guide them to the nuts... you may not have to remove the carb but I beleive that the vacuum lines surrounding the carb will get in the way... most gaskets you remove will have to be replaced, cause you don't want to do the job twice... btw if you can remove the emissions junk, there is a how to on 3geez.com in the carb tech section.