PDA

View Full Version : Remote Starter

sparky5783
January 27th, 2004, 06:12 PM
I have an 89 lx-i (manual). It's a bulldog remote starter/keyless entry. I have no power locks, but would probably get them if I put this in. I got it for chrsitmas unexpectedly, and have never worked with electronics before. Installation looks pretty simple, am I foolish to try and put it in myself. It's the base $89 dollar model of starter. And also, should I put the door locks in myself? It's like $150 for them to install em, but $40 if I do it. I ALWAYS leave the car in nuetral when i park it, which is why im not afraid of putting it in. Let me know, thnx. O ya, i live in Tucson, AZ, so not a lot of cold mornings. But it might be nice in summer (A/C).

^ () ^
January 27th, 2004, 06:14 PM
I have an 89 lx-i (manual). It's a bulldog remote starter/keyless entry. I have no power locks, but would probably get them if I put this in. I got it for chrsitmas unexpectedly, and have never worked with electronics before. Installation looks pretty simple, am I foolish to try and put it in myself. It's the base $89 dollar model of starter. And also, should I put the door locks in myself? It's like $150 for them to install em, but $40 if I do it. I ALWAYS leave the car in nuetral when i park it, which is why im not afraid of putting it in. Let me know, thnx. O ya, i live in Tucson, AZ, so not a lot of cold mornings. But it might be nice in summer (A/C).

What is your question??? Yes if you install it yourself you will save money.

dookie320
January 27th, 2004, 06:50 PM
if your car isnt equipted with power locks, then its a lot more to do. im sure its more than 40 bucks for a power lock system.

I agree with face guy, im not really understanding what you are trying to ask.

if you have never played with electronics, i wouldnt install a remote start system.

sparky5783
January 28th, 2004, 04:17 PM
ok guys: my question is just whether or not i should try and install the starter and/or power locks myself. The installation manual tells you how to make connections and it came with a negative/positive probe. I got the wiring diagram, so now i just have to cut into the right wires, so where's the hassle? And at autodax.com there is a power door(2) locks kit for $32 plus $6 for shipping. Those also look easy to put in. I hope that was fairly clear. I have another question too: the light fixture broke in the trunk (the light that has half the brake light and the reverse light). Somebody slammed my truck closed and the plastic just broke apart at 2 points, the light's intact. So i think im going to use superglue surrounded by epoxy to fix it (glue the 2 pieces back together), thoughts?

CustomLowz
January 28th, 2004, 04:27 PM
If your car is carburated then it wont be a good idea to install the starter, because of the fact that you need to pump the gas to start it.

Justin86
January 28th, 2004, 04:52 PM
I know some one on 3Geez that installed one in his car. I could send him you email if you wanted some help.

sparky5783
January 28th, 2004, 06:59 PM
I know some one on 3Geez that installed one in his car. I could send him you email if you wanted some help.

thnx man, that would be great. my email is sparky5783@comcast.net
And are the $32 autodax 2 door locks kit cheap peices of shit?
BTW- it's an Lx-i, so its pfi (programmed fule injection). Also, remember that it has an OLD alarm on that doesn't event accept power locks.

blazin3gen
January 28th, 2004, 07:12 PM
remote starter on a manual car is tight we dont have to engage the clutch to start ::biggrin:

kicker1_solo
January 29th, 2004, 01:18 AM
My teg is push button start, I think I'm gonna go remote start though. Anyone have a kit that they would recommend?

Justin86
January 29th, 2004, 01:28 AM
My teg is push button start, I think I'm gonna go remote start though. Anyone have a kit that they would recommend?
So did you finally get it or is the kid still stalling?

MarioBurke
January 29th, 2004, 02:25 AM
nana nana nana nana nana nana nana BLACK MAN!! Holy Remote starters with KeyLess Entry, I heard somebody needs help wiring. yes i was the one justin was talking about with the remote start.

first of all, it doesnt matter if the car is carb or EFI, the only time you have to pump that gas on a carb is if you have an old shitty carb. I installed the remote start on my 88 DX and it starts fine.

its all a matter of wiring. its fairly simple. if you have never messed with wiring or ignition they i would suggest having someone else do it for you. If you got the kit that comes with the remote start, all the relays and the remote that has Start,unlock/lock, trunk, and stop and you have an LX-i, then you dont need to buy any additional parts, cause you have everything you need. power locks are in the car already and you just need to tap into the two wires that are in the driver side kick panel. its pretty easy if you know what your doing

blazin3gen
January 29th, 2004, 02:26 AM
nah he got it bro bad ass teg

cdscowboy
January 29th, 2004, 04:20 AM
I put on a Bulldog starter as well. I'm auto and EFI. I also bought some actuators off of eBay, and got wire at the local auto shop with connectors. When you get the actuators, you'll have to get relays for both of them. I can't remember exactly how the wiring goes, but all in all it's not too bad. A very worthwhile use of your time. I made some custom brackets to hold in the actuators. Here's a shitty pic of it:
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/349000-349999/349828_25_full.jpg

For the starter, go to the Bulldog website and they'll have wiring diagrams, then find one for your car, and match the two together! Took me a few hours to do it.

Justin86
January 29th, 2004, 12:39 PM
nah he got it bro bad ass teg
Cool I want to see it at the meet. ::smile::

sparky5783
January 29th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Hey man, i checked out ur ride; it is very sweet. You've done all the stuff i've considered doing (wheels, body kit, short intake, remote starter, subs). Lol, i never thought of putting in TV's though! rofl, tv's in a 3rd gen, thats hilarious, but unique, so i respect and admire it. Anyway, i also think it's wierd that my Lx-i doesn't have power locks, but it doesn't. What do you guys think of the power locks at autodax.com (2 doors) for $32? So I'm getting the help of my best friend's dad who works at checker and is a gearhead (older guy who likes cars), so im hoping the install wont be too bad. I'll tell y'all how it went after I'm done.

kicker1_solo
January 30th, 2004, 12:55 AM
So did you finally get it or is the kid still stalling?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/pcfe91910cb59684afdff2b0c65c7d818/f9c6dabb.jpg
::smile::

Justin86
January 31st, 2004, 01:54 PM
That a pretty good price for keyless entry, as for the quality I'm not sure but if you really want to try it out do it.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/pcfe91910cb59684afdff2b0c65c7d818/f9c6dabb.jpg
::smile::
NICE ::biggrin: